Manhasset Bay Shipyard
 
History
<-- Back Print 

  Manhasset Bay Shipyard

Home

Directions

History

Staff

Services

Contact Us

Manhasset Bay Shipyard has probably been used as a marine facility as far back as the

post-Civil War period. In 1887, Elbert Stannard, a local resident and retired clipper ship

captain, started a business converting wooden warships -- made obsolete by steam

engines and iron cladding -- into freight and passenger vessels. Stannard's business likely

included the current shipyard property. In 1889, six wooden warships and two coastal

schooners owned by Stannard burned in a spectacular fire of unknown origin off Plum Point.

Today, the small creek that runs along the southern side of the shipyard is known as

Stannard's Creek.